We have created this page of programming changes, resources, and ways to help to help you navigate the Coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic. We will keep it as up to date as possible; please let us know if any information needs to be added, removed, or edited.
- We have suspended group meetings for our youth mentoring/discipleship programs (Royal Girls, 5/8 Club, Crown Academy, and STRIVE) for the rest of March as we reassess the trajectory of the situation.
- Our planned college visits have been canceled. We will explore potential alternatives during April for our youth, in the event that at that time there is a more positive public health outlook/prognosis regionally.
- Virginia public schools are closed for the rest of the academic year, which affects our Johnson, Walker, and Buford tutoring programs as well as Bible Club.
- Our UVA tutors are unavailable for the rest of the semester.
- With schools closed, we are determining the best process for providing academic support to our youth.
FAMILY COMMUNICATION & SUPPORT
- We have sent out correspondence to our participant families regarding our plans for this month, and our hopes for all of us to endure this season of social distancing together.
- In lieu of group-based youth program meetings, program staff are contacting our participating families in order to show support and ascertain opportunities to walk alongside them effectively.
- We are prayerfully considering creative and innovative ways to remain connected to our participants and neighbors through technology.
- We are supporting Charlottesville City Schools’ food disbursement program by handing out meals to our neighbors Monday through Friday.
City of Charlottesville: Service changes and updates due to COVID-19
SupportCville: How to get money, supplies, and services locally
CCS Food Disbursement Program: Free meal pickup Monday through Friday for children 18 and under
ACPS Student Meal Service: Free meal pickup Monday through Friday for all students and siblings 18 and under
Community Emergency Response Fund: Those experiencing hardship as a result of COVID-19 and its economic impacts can call the CACF Community Resources Hotline at (434) 234-4490 between 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday. Multiple languages are available.
Cville Community Care Team: Mini-grant requests up to $200
Dominion Energy: Has suspended all service disconnections for non-payment; offering short-term payment extensions and long-term payment plans.
SBA Loans for Coronavirus Impacts: Low-interest disaster recovery loans for small businesses that have been severely impacted by COVID-19
CDC: National COVID-19 updates and guidance
Virginia Department of Health: State COVID-19 updates
Thomas Jefferson Health District Facebook: Local COVID-19 updates
Community Mental Health and Wellness Coalition: Tips for wellness and managing stress
Virginia Trauma-Informed Community Networks: Talking about the Coronavirus and helping children and teens cope
Amazing Educational Resources: Comprehensive list of free educational resources for kids at home
PreK/K Educational Resources recommended by our neighbor/Z95.1 and WINA’s February Teacher of the Month, Shannon Gillikin
Imagine Neighborhood: A podcast for parents and kids to listen to together to grow their social-emotional skills
Internet Essentials from Comcast (for income-eligible families): Two free months of internet and low-cost computers
Kindle e-readers available for loan (thanks to UVA’s Women’s Rowing Team): Contact Rebecca for info.
Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT): Providing fare-free transportation and using rear doors only to maintain social distancing
Ways to Help
CCS food disbursement program: Volunteer
Support Cville: Donate your funds, time, or resources locally
Last updated: March 23, 2020