Abundant Life is now receiving applications for an AmeriCorps VISTA position through Virginia Mentoring Partnership. The AmeriCorps VISTA will serve in a full-time capacity as the Volunteer Coordinator for Abundant Life for a full Member Service Year, late-July 2019 to late-July 2020. This position will focus extensively on developing, systematizing, and strengthening our current volunteer process of recruiting, screening, training, matching, supporting, and closing out matches. This role will also help develop the framework for a high school mentoring program for the young women of Prospect. The specific objectives that will be accomplished through this position are:
- Enhance the volunteer experience for Abundant Life’s academic mentors and tutors through feedback, strengthening relationships, and education opportunities.
- Establish systems and processes for strong and sustainable recruitment of academic mentors and tutors. This will primarily be accomplished through creating physical and electronic recruitment material, and strengthening relationships and pursuing new ones with volunteer recruitment organizations.
- Research and pursue systematic changes to align Abundant Life’s standards and expectations for its academic mentors and tutors with current best practices.
- Train, support, supervise, and mentor the Academic Mentors and Tutors in their role.
- Support the organization in identifying and pursuing funding for the development of a long-term, sustainable Volunteer Coordinator position.
Support the organization in creating and developing programming for young women in Prospect.
- Have a driver’s license
- Be an excellent communicator
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and Social Media Platforms: Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter
- Commit for 1 full year of service, mid-August 2018 through mid-August 2019
- $970 monthly living allowance
- $1,500 stipend or $5,500 Education award granted on successful completion of member service year
- Health Care Benefits
- If eligible, government benefits, loan forbearance, and childcare
- Support with affordable housing opportunities
To apply, please email or mail a Cover Letter and Resume to:
Director of Leadership Development
PO Box 71
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Young Men’s Program Coordinator
Reporting to and working with the Executive Director, the Young Men’s Program Coordinator will have strategic and visionary responsibility for designing weekly faith-based mentoring and youth group programs for young men, and providing support for academic tutoring programs within Abundant Life Ministries. As a neighborhood-based nonprofit, Abundant Life’s mission is to demonstrate God’s love through holistic community development in the Prospect neighborhood—a diverse, low-income area of approximately 400 households. Through a wide array of community partnerships (churches, agencies, businesses, schools, residents, etc.), Abundant Life offers a range of resident-driven programs that includes after-school tutoring, bible studies, mentoring, and recreation for grades K-12, and a personal finance program for adults. The Young Men’s Program Coordinator will participate in this work through program and curriculum development and relationship building with Prospect neighborhood youth.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with Executive Director to sustain and further develop a faith-based mentoring program for 5th–8th grade young men (5-8 Club)
- Recruit, train, and maintain a team of two to six male volunteers to assist with Abundant Life meetings, bible studies, field trips, and events for student participants (grades 5-8)
- Work with Director of Leadership Development to train and equip a team of two to six male volunteers in Christian Community Development (CCD) Principles, and best practices regarding restorative discipline, trauma-informed care, and cross-cultural sensitivity
- Work with Executive Director to secure and organize meal donations and discounts through local organizations and church partnerships for program meetings and events
- Work with Executive Director to develop and implement evaluation metrics for Young Men’s Programs
- Recruit, train, and maintain a team of adult mentors for high school program (STRIVE) participants
- Recruit volunteers to organize and staff a retreat once a semester for STRIVE participants
- Plan/ensure College Visits take place each semester for STRIVE students, 2 family dinners (typically centered around graduation and Christmas), and career fair visits
- Plan/ensure monthly gatherings for STRIVE pairs, resource STRIVE mentors, and facilitate healthy matches between mentors and students
- Oversee a support staff (e.g. Fellow) in supporting the STRIVE program
- Work with Executive Director to plan and implement summer programming for 5th–8th grade student participants
- Recruit summer staff and volunteers, specifically focusing on past participants and utilizing partners such as past donors and the Community Attention Youth Internship Program
- Work with Young Ladies’ Program Coordinator to provide support for Walker Upper Elementary and Buford Middle School Tutoring Programs
- Provide transportation to participants and tutors when appropriate
- Attend weekly Abundant Life staff meetings
- Work with Abundant Life accountant to maintain board-approved budget for Young Men’s Programs expenses
- Work with STRIVE Assistant Coordinator to further develop Young Men’s Program Volunteer Handbook, which will include information about Abundant Life, as well as guidelines for home visits, volunteer roles, motivational interviewing, restorative discipline, trauma-informed care, adolescence, cross-cultural sensitivity, racial reconciliation, and a directory of relevant community partners
- Work with STRIVE Assistant Coordinator to further develop volunteer training sessions for men’s programming volunteers and mentors
- Develop a digitally accessible curriculum reference, with basic meeting outlines for discipleship and life skills lessons (e.g. spiritual growth, healthy relationships, leadership development, community engagement, etc.) that are relevant for 5th–8th grade young men, as well as a FAQ section with bible references, illustrations, games, and activities
- Build credibility and relationships within the Prospect neighborhood by listening to community members and reflecting consistency in high program quality
- Regularly schedule home visits with families of prospective and current male participants (alongside volunteers, when feasible)
- Regularly meet with team of two to six volunteers to check in, offer and receive feedback, and pray for them
- Collaborate with Young Ladies’ Program Coordinator to host co-ed social events when appropriate
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with relevant school and community representatives to build familiarity and rapport
Qualifications & Experience
The Young Men’s Programming Coordinator will be thoroughly committed to Abundant Life’s mission and be familiar with or willing to learn the CCD model of community development. All candidates should have proven leadership experience.
- At least one year of experience working with youth
- The ability to translate vision into achievable strategic objectives
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Capable of working well with others and confident enough to work independently
- Capable of managing time efficiently and productively
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, and social media platforms
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills with a social sensitivity to read situations accurately and respond effectively
- An approachable personality
- A valid driver’s license and strong driving record
- An associate’s or bachelor’s degree (preferred; not required)
- The ideal candidate will have experience in a faith-based urban missions context
- Full-time (32 hrs./wk), competitive salary
- Health insurance benefits
Abundant Life is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply. We value high performance, effective teamwork, shared leadership, and inspiration. We believe diversity of staff, thought, approach, and experience provides the optimal environment for our growth, learning, and success. Abundant Life is a drug-free workplace.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Nathan Walton at Nathan@charlottesvilleabundantlife.org outlining how their experience and qualifications make them a great candidate. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We expect to make a hire in advance of summer programs.