We currently have five openings for our 2020-21 Fellows Program (to begin in August).
After School Team Leader (5)
As an After School Team Leader you will serve as a Bible Club Coordinator 2 days a week and serve as
Room Monitor for the After School Tutoring Program 2 days a week. You will work with 1st – 4th grade
students and support the same groups of students each week. Responsibilities include:
- Praying for Kids/Families
- Planning and implementing Bible Club (BC) activities (lessons, recreational activities, crafts)
- Set-up/ clean-up for BC at Abundant Life House (782 Prospect Ave.) and Trinity Pres.
- Attending weekly team meetings with EPC (Elementary Programs Coordinator)
- Regular communication with families/ visiting families at start and end of year
- Implementing Abundant Life’s behavior management system
- Supporting special events (Christmas Store, MLK Day, field trips)
- Communicating regularly with BC and Tutoring volunteers
- Recording daily attendance for kids and volunteers
- Transporting kids to and from BC
- Communicating positive observations/ concerns about kids and or volunteers each day with EPC
- Conducting pre and post surveys for both parents and kids (for program evaluation)
- Participating in once a month Saturday hangouts (when able)
- Monitoring kids during snack and recreational play
- Setting up materials in tutoring rooms
- Assisting tutors with finding materials, lesson plan questions, any issues that may arise in room
- Recording and monitoring Blue Bucks totals for each child
- Keeping time and giving reminders for transitions
- Leading small group activities when 1:1 tutoring is not taking place
- Lining kids up and walking them to and from the classrooms
- Checking rooms at the end of day to make sure all items are cleaned up
- Checking in with Lesson Plan Writers to see if any help is needed at end of day
For additional details and to apply, please see our Fellows page.
Abundant Life is now receiving applications for an AmeriCorps VISTA position through MENTOR Virginia. The AmeriCorps VISTA will serve in a full-time capacity as the Volunteer Coordinator for Abundant Life for a full Member Service Year, mid-August 2020 to mid-August 2021. This position will focus extensively on developing, systematizing, and strengthening our current volunteer process of recruiting, screening, training, matching, supporting, and closing out matches. This role will also help develop the framework for a high school mentoring program for the young women of Prospect. The specific objectives that will be accomplished through this position are:
- Enhance the volunteer experience for Abundant Life’s academic mentors and tutors through feedback, strengthening relationships, and education opportunities.
- Establish systems and processes for strong and sustainable recruitment of academic mentors and tutors. This will primarily be accomplished through creating physical and electronic recruitment material, and strengthening relationships and pursuing new ones with volunteer recruitment organizations.
- Research and pursue systematic changes to align Abundant Life’s standards and expectations for its academic mentors and tutors with current best practices.
- Train, support, supervise, and mentor the Academic Mentors and Tutors in their role.
- Support the organization in identifying and pursuing funding for the development of a long-term, sustainable Volunteer Coordinator position.
Support the organization in creating and developing programming for young women in Prospect.
- Have a driver’s license
- Be an excellent communicator
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and Social Media Platforms: Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter
- Commit for 1 full year of service, mid-August 2020 through mid-August 2021
- $1125.04 monthly living allowance
- $1,800 stipend or $6,075 Education award granted on successful completion of member service year
- Health Care Benefits
- If eligible, government benefits, loan forbearance, and childcare
To apply, please email or mail a Cover Letter and Resume to:
Director of Leadership Development
PO Box 71
Charlottesville, VA 22902